Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The lone Ranger - not to be confused with The Lone Ranger (note the capitalization)

By this time it was the summer of 2004. I'd had the 240D for eight years and I'd had the Vanagon for one year. I'd done my fair share of wrenching on both of them. Getting the van up and running quickly wasn't the most trouble-free experience I've ever had. I was still relying on the family's trusted mechanic for larger jobs.

For no exlicable or logical reason, I got the itch to start a new project. Once again, my father happened upon a car. Someone he knew was leaving the country and needed to sell his pickup truck. I went to check it out, and $1500 later I was the proud owner of a 1993 Ford Ranger XLT extended cab pickup. It was automatic with the 4.0L V6 engine. It didn't handle all that well, but the V6 moved in a straight line unlike my 240D or the Vanagon (fast).



There really isn't too much to tell about this one (which makes for less reading for you). I never intended to keep the Ford, and I didn't. I bought it because I knew I could turn it around fast and make some money. The Ranger was actually my first fix-and-flip project. I gave it a thorough detailing (interior and exterior), replaced the radio, got the power windows working properly, and replaced the shocks.

I drove it on and off for about a month, mostly around town. Once it was fixed up, I listed it in the local paper and a couple of days later, after dealing with the usual tire-kickers, I sold it for $2900 (still below book value at the time, based on its condition).

Overall, it was a nice little truck, but I didn't need the hassle of having three cars. Of course, a couple of years later, I did a 180 with respect to that reasoning.


No comments:

Post a Comment