Monday, July 6, 2015

Long delayed update on the Mercedes project

Apologies to anyone who has been reading along. I have been working on the car, and have kept the Youtube channel up to date, but the blog is almost five months behind.

After my last update, I finished installing all the car's trim, aside from the front end trim (waiting until I have the front end/engine work done.

After that, I pulled the driveshaft (which was challenging on its own) and did a complete rear suspension refresh (new shocks, new trailing arm bushings, new rear subframe mounts). Here are some highlights:




So, I'm deep into mechanical repairs. Now that the rear end is done and the driveshaft is out, I'm in the process of pulling the transmission so that I can replace the clutch:


At this point, I'm literally a few bolts away from having the transmission out of the car. Once it's out, the new clutch and associated components go in, at which point, I can reinstall the driveshaft and everything else under the car.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I'm from Brazil and I have one project like the yours.
    My name is Thiago Della, I bought a Mercedes Benz 250 1982 (blue).
    Your website is amazing and I am following you.

    Can we keep contact? Do you have facebook?

    hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if you are maintaining this site anymore, but I saw your video on Rust encapsulator and I wanted to get your opinion on what was best to treat the ugly underbody rust on my 2003 Suburban. The body is actually just about clean although I think I see bubbles forming on its rear flank and by the tailgate lock. But the underside from the tow hitch on down has what I know is not vital butt still pretty impressive superficial rust on everything on the undercarriage. My mechanic says he would just power wash it and then paint it with I suppose a product like you recommend. What would you do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bad Lieutenant,
      I am maintaining and responding to comments, though I haven't written a new blog post in a long time. I suppose the first thing you need to ask yourself is how long you want to keep your Suburban. If the answer is "forever," then you might want to stay away from off-the-shelf products. If it really is light surface rust, I'd try RustOleum's Reformer spray, then primer and paint over that. To top it off, I'd use Harbor Freight's Iron Armor truck bed coating.

      Delete
  5. I don't know if you are maintaining this site anymore, but I saw your video on Rust encapsulator and I wanted to get your opinion on what was best to treat the ugly underbody rust on my 2003 Suburban. The body is actually just about clean although I think I see bubbles forming on its rear flank and by the tailgate lock. But the underside from the tow hitch on down has what I know is not vital butt still pretty impressive superficial rust on everything on the undercarriage. My mechanic says he would just power wash it and then paint it with I suppose a product like you recommend. What would you do?

    ReplyDelete