Sunday, September 8, 2013

Parts car gradually changes from car... to parts

So, I don't really have the space or the budget to simply let the parts car sit around. As such, I can't simply pick at the 1979 240D parts car as needed. I'm low on parking, so I need to disassemble the car and junk the shell.

I spent last weekend (and the one before) pulling the engine and transmission. As the parts car has a new clutch (or so said the seller), the whole assembly will be going into the 1983 project.





Last weekend, I also got the driveshaft and differential out. I'm stripping as much as I can from the car, and will be getting rid of the excess on Craigslist and eBay. With any luck, I should be able to cover a good portion of the cost of the project this way.



This weekend, I started at the rear of the car and began gutting it. I got the fuel tank out, and flushed it with vinegar. I still need to power wash the inside, but it's basically ready for transplant into the 1983

After that, I cleaned up and painted the rusty airbox, then started de-trimming the car. That's almost done. I also removed the nearly spotless front fenders for use on the 1983 and removed all the exterior lights.




I have more to do, but there isn't too much car left. Once it's picked over, I'll junk the shell and start in on the 1983 project again.









3 comments:

  1. you should use the hood too on the '83, or at least the grill unless it's dented

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm probably going to leave the original hood on the '83, but I'm definitely using the 1979 grill.

      Delete